In this month’s podcast, Jes Constantine and Todd Stiefel interview American Atheists’ president, David Silverman, about the largest secular event in world history-Reason Rally. Jes and Todd also discuss a listener comment about the proposed personhood amendment.
Visit theHumanistHour.org to stream, download, and subscribe to the podcast.
Segment 1: Personhood
A constitutional amendment facing voters in Mississippi on Nov. 8, and similar initiatives brewing in half a dozen other states including Florida and Ohio, would declare a fertilized human egg to be a legal person, effectively branding abortion and some forms of birth control as murder.
- NPR interview with Keith Mason (Personhood USA), Alexa Kolbi-Molinas (an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union’s Reproductive Freedom Project), and Dan Grossman (an obstetrician/gynecologist at the University of California, San Francisco).
- Rationally Speaking, A monthly e-column by Massimo Pigliucci: Abortion, a philosophical approach
- Ask Richard, the atheist advice columnist. Send your questions for Richard to . Richard says: Please keep your letters concise. They may be edited. There is a very large number of letters, so Richard apologizes if he is unable to respond in a timely manner.
Segment 2: Reason Rally
The Reason Rally is an event sponsored by many of the country’s largest and most influential secular organizations. It will be free to attend and will take place in Washington, D.C. on March 24th, 2012 from 10:00AM – 4:00PM at the National Mall. There will be music, comedy, speakers, and so much more. We hope you can join us!
David Silverman is President of American Atheists has been an atheist since he was 6 years old. Dave became an activist in 1996, and soon became [American Atheists] NJ State Director. He also founded the Alliance of Lucent and AT&T Atheists and Secularists, the first employee club of its kind. He was tapped to be the National Spokesperson in 2004, and then was named Vice President in 2008. The Board of Directors elected Dave as President in September of 2010.
David has appeared on most major news programs including The O’Reilly Factor, Scarborough Country, The Situation with Wolf Blitzer, CNN’ Paula Zahn NOW, Nick News, Hannity and Colmes, Fox and Friends, CN8′s It’s Your Call, and NPR’s All Things Considered. David runs the NoGodBlog and hosts the Atheist Viewpoint TV show.
Links from this month’s episode:
- Reason Rally: ReasonRally.org
- American Atheists: atheists.org
- THH (+HNN) Podcast Archives: theHumanistHour.org/archives
Music from this month’s episode (in order of appearance):
The Humanist Hour (HH) Audio Podcast is a monthly one-hour talk show produced by theAmerican Humanist Association. Every episode of the HH Audio Podcast explores a different area of humanist thought, from politics to pop culture.
A typical episode of the HH podcast features interviews, commentary, news, and music. Notable guests have included Bill Nye the Science Guy, Sir Salman Rushdie, Prof. Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, E.O. Wilson, Alan Dershowitz, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Andy Rooney, Greg Graffin of Bad Religion, Holly Near, Dar Williams and Julia Sweeney.
The HH podcast is produced by AHA staffer Jessica Constantine and co-hosted with Todd Steifel.