The myth persists. Even in our modern world, countless people believe that without God, one’s life has no purpose or meaning — that the lives of atheists are devoid of joy and happiness because they are not religious.
Starting out as one of the highest-grossing publishing projects on Kickstarter, A Better Life: 100 Atheists Speak Out on Joy and Meaning in a World Without God highlights the various ways that those who are not religious find joy, meaning, and purpose in life. Photographer Chris Johnson spent two years traveling the world speaking with and photographing atheists from all walks of life to create this hardcover photography coffeetable book.
Subjects in the book include:
- A.C. Grayling, Philosopher
- Adam Pascal, Musician/Actor
- Carol Blue & (the late) Christopher Hitchens
- Charles Strouse, Broadway composer
- Daniel Dennett, Philosopher and cognitive scientist
- Donald C. Johanson, Paleoanthropologist
- James Watson, Molecular biologist/co-discoverer of the structure of DNA
- Janet Asimov, Psychiatrist/Author
- Julia Sweeney, Actress, comedian & author
- Lawrence M. Krauss, Physicist
- Penn & Teller, magicians
- Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, Philosopher and novelist
- Richard Dawkins, Evolutionary biologist, and author
- Robert Llewellyn, Writer, TV presenter, actor
- Sean Carroll, Theoretical Physicist
- Steven Pinker, Cognitive scientist
Also featured in the book are leaders from the American Humanist Association: AHA Executive Director Roy Speckhardt, AHA Development and Communications Director Maggie Ardiente, The Humanist Editor Jennifer Bardi, Appignani Humanist Legal Center Director David Niose, United Coalition of Reason Director Fred Edwords, and AHA Board Member Anthony Pinn.
Author and photographer Chris Johnson and the New York Society for Ethical Culture (NYSEC) will be hosting an event to celebrate the publication of A Better Life on February 28, 2014 at 7:30pm at NYSEC (2 West 64th Street, New York, NY 10025). It will feature a talk about the project, Q&A, refreshments, book signing, and more.
For more information, and to purchase a copy of A Better Life, visit www.theatheistbook.com.